Friday, August 17, 2007

Alex's Old Home vs New Home

Well where do I begin? How about we start with Alex's old home and Brian's visit to the orphanage. He got on the bus at 8am and arrived back around 8:30pm - a very long day. It took fours hours to drive there but the nice thing was that he got to see the Chinese countryside. From the pics it looks beautiful. www.dropshots.com/saritawv
They arrived at the orphanage and were met by the Director. Brian does not doubt the genuine affection that both the Director and the Nannies have for these children - the only problem is that there is not enough of them for the quantity of children. The group was only allowed to go into one room - the room they say that our children stayed. The orphanage looks so big, you wonder what is going on in the other rooms. He was not allowed to videotape, only to take a couple pics. Some babies were lying on the floor as they did not have enough cribs. Makes you wonder what can be going on in the other rooms if they are showing us the best one. The pics Brian took speak for themselves. What you can't see is that the windows for this room do not have screens or glass, they are open. When it rains they push the cribs out of the way. I dunno. It broke Brian's heart and it certainly makes sense as to why these kids are so sick - can't really clean wood planks that well from one baby to the next and why they long to be held.
Afterwards they drove to the spot each child was left at. The pics also show the restaurant that Alex was found in front of. The restaurant is now closed and the building was falling apart. Brian said this was one of the hardest parts of the trip. Have I told you about these orphanage girls when they get older? They are rumoured to be the most stubborn head strong girls alive. I always thought that this was because most of them are only chidlren to parents who are well established and spoiling their kids. I just might be wrong. It turns out that something like 50 children were found in the 4 weeks span that Alex was found. Only 16 survived. The survivors are fighters and have an incredibly strong spirit.
So though I am glad that I got to stay home with my little love..........we got a screamer:) Alex screamed and screamed and screamed, pretty much from noon until 8:30pm when Dad got back. By about 6pm I lost my marbles and I am not sure who was crying louder - me or Alex. I had even broken down and borrowed someone's Baby Einstein DVD and tried that. I took her swimming - she stopped crying but it started to rain. I bathed her - she laughed but was very slippery for just me to have her in the sink. Believe me, if there was something I could try I did. I don't know what is going on. She is teething. She is her Daddy's girl. Could be either one. Very tough day for Mom. That is all I will write about that.
Off to Beijing tomorrow. I can't wait. I will post tomorrow when we get there. If anyone is wondering where I am getting the time to post......this is my only private time. My how my life has changed!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is great to read your posts of the good and the bad. Some times people gloss over too much and those that follow behind don't understand why they are having such a hard time when in all those blogs they read everything was peachy. Of course, we'd all rather write and read about the good stuff but is the tough stuff that makes us all know we are normal when we go through it too. I'm glad Daddy is back safe and sound and you get some time to recharge.

Take care. I am enjoying checking the blog and pictures every morning!

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian, Sarita & Alex,

Brian, your photos of the orphanage touched my heart. It brought tremendous sadness but then knowing that each of these little babies will ultimately become part of a loving family made the sadness go away.

The two of you truly have done a wonderful thing in bringing Alex into your lives. She's a very, very lucky little girl.

I admire you both for the patience and faith you have shown and continue to show. Kudos to both of you!!

Safe travels home.

Karen, Spencer, Sean & family oxox

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarita,

Wow! What an experience! Alex looks so sweet and cuddly. She's so lucky to have you guys!

Wishing you a safe and quiet (hopefully she doesn't scream too much) flight home!

Can't wait for you to bring her in sometime!

April

Anonymous said...

Sarita - love your update! Sitting here with Michele and reading your blog, she says "congrats, she's beautiful!".

Thinking of you and praying you will have better day tomorrow.

Brian - I loved your pics, heartwrenching and uplifting at the same time.
Thinking of you all and sending love! Looking forward to meeting Alex

Anonymous said...

About now you will be leaving for Bejing
Have a happy journey ...........
I wonder what she will think of plane flying ?! Your blogs are marvelous and I enjoy keeping up with this miraculous journey
Delighted you are so very Human !
I hope someone else gets inspired to do the same journey after all these pictures.
Love you all
A Jan