Thursday, August 9, 2007

It's a Girl!

Alex is more beautiful in real life! Today has been a very emotional day. We flew in this morning and then scooted around unpacking, getting organized etc. and then the cribs arrived in our rooms! It was very surreal. Next thing we know we are ready to go to the Civil Affairs Office. There we had to wait behind a few other couples from another group that were adopting children that were around 2 or 3 years old. I don't think I will ever forget the terror in these children's eyes. And then our babies started coming out. Tears were non stop for everyone. As usual, I tend to only cry at the big things - broken nail, being mad at someone etc, so of course Brian shed the tears for me.
So let me tell you about my little love. She has the biggest, blackest eyes I have ever seen. She is very cuddly but also likes to push me away. Unfortunately she is quite sick. Her lungs are very congested and her breathing is laboured. She is just getting over scabies and has a couple scabs on her head. She has prickly heat on her back and neck. Alex has bed sores on her bum - her bum is very cute by the way. She also has some weird bruises in different spots. Needless to say she is running a fever. That being said, she is on drugs - both prescription and over the counter. She did eat (finally) and now she is lying sweetly in her crib while I finally leave the room and come down to post:)
Brian and I have not eaten. Probably will not sleep. But are definitely falling in love with Alex every breathing moment we have her.
So hopefully I can find a way to post some pics on the site. May be hard as I am at the public computer.
Congratulations Grandma, Grandpa, Mamagi (sp?), Papa, and all the Aunts, Uncles and Cousins. We have a beautiful addition to our family.

13 comments:

Brett & Lisa said...

She does seem cuddly! Looks good on both of you!

No doubt, your having a great time getting to know your new additional to the Vandernaalt family... So many new things!

Hope Alex gets well soon.

Brett and Lisa

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Vandernaalt family!! We are so excited for you. We have seen the pics and she is lovely!! We can't wait to meet her, and are looking forward to more updates and pictures as you bond with your daughter!!

with love, Uncle mano and Auntie Kate

Anonymous said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! Congratulations !! What A BEAUTIFUL ADDITION TO THE FAMILY ! We look forward to seeing Alex in person. I wonder if you're getting any sleep ?!!! Do hope she gets well quickly. We'll be praying for that here.
So glad [!!!!!!!!] we are able to see the pictures after all !! Looking forward to everything you put on for us to see/read. Love you lots, Mummy. Papa is out so he can write when he returns. I can see 2 great parents in the making !!!

JMCPhillips said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

She is just beautiful, and you both look so happy. I am absolutely thrilled for both of you - hugs and kisses to your new darling from Caitlin and I, and we can't wait to meet her!

On a side note, the "bruises" may be mongolian spots - your facilitator should be able to tell you. Caitlin has a couple of them.

So happy for you,

Marie
XOXO

Anonymous said...

Congrats Brian and Sarita!!! Alex is absolutely beautiful!!! I can't wait to meet her.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh she is absolutely beautiful!! I can't believe how tall she is. Congratulations to all three of you for finding each other is this big old world of ours. Now that she has her Mom & Dad with her, I'm sure she'll be feeling better in no time. Can't wait to see her in person.

Frank

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian & Sarita. Congratulaions for finally getting Alex into your life,we are so happy for you.She is a very lucky girl to have you as parents, we are very anxious to see her, and happy to be a grandparent again. Love Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Dear A.Sarita and U.Brian,

I love you, Auntie Sarita and Uncle Brian. Hello, Alex! I love you too! I like the picture of you playing Peek-a-Boo with Alex. I love you

Anonymous said...

Dear A.Sarita and U.Brian,

I love you, Auntie Sarita and Uncle Brian. Hello, Alex! I love you too! I like the picture of you playing Peek-a-Boo with Alex. I love you

Anonymous said...

Dear A. Sarita and U. Brian,

I like all the pictures you took. I liked the picture where Uncle Brian is playing Peek-a-Boo with Alex! I'm excited to see Alex! I love you! Bye, Bye!

Anonymous said...

A nursery rhyme for alex:

Patta Cake,
Patta Cake,
Baker's man.
(clap her hands together)

Bake me a cake as fast as you can.
(keep clapping!)

Roll it, Pick it and mark it with a 'B'
(do these actions with Alex's hands)

And Pop it in the oven (move Alex's hands like puting it into the oven)

For Baby and Me!!
(Point to Baby, Point to parent!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian and Sarrita
I am so thrilled for you - and she looks like a wonder girl ! What a lovely trio of fun you all are - I can now breath and sleep again !
Mum and i have kept in close touch so we share our tears of joy and deep happiness for you all.
I love you - A Jan

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarita, Brian & Alex,

So happy to hear you have Alex now. I'm sure everything is very traumatic for her right now, but pretty soon, she's going to feel like she's living in heaven!

Hope she's feeling better soon.

Peg'n Lou