Saturday, August 11, 2007

A little about my Darling

Before I start going on and on about Alex, I want to thank our family, friends, old neighbours, teachers, TD peers - essentially everyone for your wonderful comments. I love logging in and checking to see what messages we have. I feel so far away from home that it is wonderful to know that so many people are thinking and praying about us.
Now on to Alex. As you know Alex was from an orphanage. She was in a metal crib with a wood plank for the last (almost) 9 months of her life. There were almost 50 other children in the room with 2 nannies to look after them all. She was hardly ever held and was kept on a strict schedule.
These girls don't cry, they have learnt from an early age that no one will come. Alex was very content when we would put her down on the bed or floor or anywhere. She didn't care. She is used to spending hours upon hours entertaining herself. Because of that Alex self stimulates - uses her hands, her mouth, her feet to entertain. The first day it was hard for her to even reach out and touch us with her hands or look us in the eyes. After stickers on my nose and constant touching she is starting to respond. Alex also no longer wants to be put down. She has realized that it is more fun to be held by us. She still will not reach out to be picked up but for the first time today when a complete stranger reached out and wanted to hold her (before I could yell 'step away from my baby'), she turned back into me and away from the stranger. I started to cry. This is great progress in only a couple days.
We have noticed that she is almost limp like and very quiet when we are out - originally this was all the time but has now decreased to only when we leave the hotel room. This is shock and way too much stimuli. I will be increasing the time we spend together in the room. As all of the girls are the same way, site seeing was cancelled for today and the orphanage visit has been postponed until Thursday. I will not be taking Alex back to the orphanage. I believe that this could be very traumatic for her, so crazy confusing. Brian is going to go and film everything for us including the restaurant where she was abandoned. I am writing a prayer for Brian to say at this spot for her birth mom - we are forever joined.
So that about covers it for Alex's emotional state. We knew that it would be hard for her coming from an orphanage but man is she beautiful and spunky and I know that with His healing she will be well.
Her physical state - oh boy! Her cough and congestion is getting better. She is quite the sweater but it is crazy hot. She has a rash all over her body especially her face so I took her to the hospital. Heat rash! You will see from the new pic that she is coated in lotion now. Of course there was an old Chinese remedy given as well and so now she has soaked in a fine blend of four teas as well! Her bum spots are getting better but not as quickly as I would like. Perhaps the tea bath might help? Her welt on her head (scabies) was shown to the doctor and I recieved ointment for that. The total visit including the costs of all the herbs and drugs? $11US:)
So I wanted to give everyone an update about Alex but I really don't want anyone to be worried as all these things - physical and emotional can be treated. So we will. Some quickly some slowly.
Before I log off. To all those attending the Watsa Family Cottage weekend - wish Alex could be there to meet everyone, learn a little tennis and play some ping pong. We will need to add a new competition - gymnastics. Alex is incredibly flexible:) Have fun, loving you all and wishing I could be there for the poker, laughs and multiple conversations at one moment!
Talk soon

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Thanks for the wonderful, insightful post. I enjoyed reading it. For next it is my turn (CB Group 249). Best wishes for a safe and wonderful journey. I look forward to reading your daily entries and pictures each morning.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarita,

Its Mark, I'm so happy for you guys! ALex looks adorable. I will have to come and visit you guys next time i'm in St. Thomas. Wish you guys all the best and have a safe trip home. We missed you guys this weekend. Especially Brian as his $$$ was dearly missed in texas holdem game. Brian if you were wondering I won! Again!..haha..ne ways, all the best and I will hoefully see you guys soon,

Love, Mark

Anonymous said...

Sarita & Brian,
Congratulations on geting baby Alex We are so happy fo you bothand wish you every happiness - wishing you a safe flight home and Cara and Ryan and looking forward to seeing and playing with Alex soon! Love and kisses Vinodh Breda Ryan & Cara xxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your message to us at the cottage. I read it to everyone before supper tonight.
We were talking asbout this time next year at the cottage. A year doesn't take long !! Kate and I agreed that you made the right judgement call about the orphanage, and perhaps it might have been difficult for you too Sarita. Love you all. Feel we're getting to know Alex a little too!! Mum

Anonymous said...

So happy for you!!She looks so adorable. I can;t imagine how you are feeling right now with baby Alex in your arms. You waited so long for this moment, and what a moment it must have been. I look forward to seeing you return with your bundle of joy, I hope she is recovering well in your care with all your love. Aunty Navo

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarite, Brian and little Alex!
We are so happy for you and your new family. We are so excited to meet Alex and we KNOW she just can't wait to meet us!! The pics are adorable and we can't wait to see more!!
Lots of love
Chris, Neet, and Steph(and Barry and Quinn, Ethan and Maya)

Anonymous said...

Hello Sarita & Brian, So happy for you both and I can hardly wait until the 25th it seems so far away. She is such and angel and I look forward to logging in every morning. I have some very exciting news that I thought I would share with you guys as well. I have become and Aunt 2 months earlier than planned. Tiffany had her baby the day after getting home from her trip. Izzie Cruz Cooper is her name and baby and mom are doing well. She only weighs 4.5 pounds right now! Love you guys and I will see you soon. Shelley & Greg

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

Isaac, Zachary & Anna are REALLY excited to meet Alex! Can't wait to see you guys. We're praying as a family for Alex, and her continued growth and well-being.

We're off to BC to see Shai & Ryan. Enjoy your time in China!

Mano